Foreigners residing in Indonesia with temporary stay permits (KITAS) or permanent stay permits (KITAP) are entitled to a Driving License or Driver’s License, also known as Surat Izin Mengemudi (SIM). Other basic requirements for this license application in Indonesia include passing both practical and theoretical tests and being 17 years of age or older.
Classes of Driving License in Indonesia
There are four common classes of driver’s license in Indonesia, as follows:
- A – to drive private passenger car or cargo vehicle with maximum allowable weight not exceeding 3,500 kg (three thousand five hundred kilograms)
- A Public (A UMUM) – to drive commercial vehicles and goods carrier with maximum allowable weight not exceeding 3,500 kg
- B1 – to drive private passenger or cargo vehicle with weight allowed exceeding 3,500 kg
- B1 Public (B1 UMUM) – to drive commercial passenger vehicles and general freight with maximum allowable weight exceeding 3,500 kg
- B2 – to drive private heavy equipment vehicles, towing vehicles, or motor vehicles with semi-trailer or individual trailer with maximum allowable weight exceeding 1,000 kg trailer/s
- B2 Public (B2 UMUM) – to drive commercial vehicles for towing with semi-trailer or individual trailer with maximum allowable weight exceeding 1,000 kg trailer/s
- C – to drive motorcycles
- D – to drive special vehicle for disabled person
For foreigners, only SIM A and SIM C can be applied.
Please contact our 24 hours customer service for more information.